Christian Dior was once quoted as saying “Without foundation, there can be no fashion” and he certainly knew what he was talking about. The first step for any image overhaul should always start with your underwear, more specifically your bras. It is estimated that in Britain 90% of women are wearing the wrong size and in my experience this is spot on. It usually means the back size is too big and rides up, and the cup size is too small and causes breast overspill. I recommend that you should be professionally fitted every 6 months as weight fluctuations, diets, hormonal changes can all have an effect on what your bosoms are doing. This is especially important if you are on a weight-loss journey.
Signs of a badly fitting bra:-
- The back rides up and sits in an arch
- Cup size is too small causing boob overspill which I call ’4 boob syndrome’ and is extremely unflattering
- Straps are too loose and slip off your shoulder
- It doesn’t sit flat against your ribcage
- Red marks on your shoulders where the straps have been digging in. The support from a bra comes from the area around your tummy and back and not your straps. You should be able to pull them down and the bra stays up and in place.
The negative visual effects:-
- You appear larger, wider and shorter
- No defined waist
- Boobs hang lower, point downwards and give the appearance of sitting on your tummy
Signs of a correctly fitted bra:-
- Sits flat against your ribcage
- No boob overspill
- You can’t get more than 2 fingers underneath the straps
- Bra sits straight across the back and doesn't ride up
The positive visual effects:-
- You look slimmer and taller
- You have a smaller, more defined waist
- Your boobs will be uplifted and pointing in the right direction
- Your clothes look and hang in a more flattering manner
- Posture improves as your breasts have the support they need and won’t be pulling down on your
Don’t be put off from going to get measured because you feel embarrassed or don’t want to undress in front of a stranger. A good lingerie specialist will be able to tell just by looking at you with your bra on what size you are. It’s worth spending a bit extra on a good quality undergarment as buying cheaper is a false economy If you look after them, and by this, I mean no machine washing or tumble drying, they will last you for years.
My top tips:-
- Always wear a nude bra under white clothing as it won’t be visible through your top.
- Spend a bit of time getting to know what styles of bra are available and what they do. Balconette, plunge,
t-shirt, padded etc are all designed to give a different effect so it’s a good idea knowing what bra style is suitable for whatever look you might be trying to achieve.
- Make sure you get fitted every 6 months and never be tempted to pick up a bra whilst doing your weekly
- It’s not just bra’s that can make a big difference to your appearance. Control underwear is a lot of
celebrities best kept secret and can smooth out any lumps and bumps you may have giving you a more elegant and refined silhouette.
If you would like more advice on underwear or styling in general, please get in touch, I’d love to hear from you.